Tuesday, January 7, 2014

John Scherber Visits Central Mexico

As soon as John Scherber wrote that his latest book, Into the Heart of México: Expatriates Find Themselves Off the Beaten Path, was available, I immediately bought the Kindle edition. I find it fascinating to read about expats in Mexico and how they reached their decision to move there. In Scherber’s first book, San Miguel de Allende: A Place in the Heart, he concentrated on San Miguel. This latest book spends 15 months interviewing expats in Pozos, San Luis de la Paz, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Puebla, Zacatecas and Oaxaca. Those cities are all in the Mexican highlands where the weather is mild with few extremes.

The question always comes up, when I announce I want to spend at least six months a year in Mexico, where would you live? I say I’d like to spend at least a month in each place on my list, then decide. Scherber has just encouraged me to add seven more locations to my list.

The interviews are intimate close ups of people and what they like about the country and how the pace is slower. They have learned paciencia, patience, and while it seems many interviewees tend to be left-leaning, there doesn’t seem to be any great desire to go back to the U.S. except as a short visit. These people in the highlands are independent, speak Spanish, have Mexican friends, but don’t seem to need to have other expats around them to be happy.

Once exposed to Mexico, it seems easy to start preparing one’s mind for the move. Almost as easy to buy Scherber’s next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment