Friday, March 13, 2015

San Miguel de Allende: The new gourmet capital of Mexico?

Amy Jenkins tells us that San Miguel is becoming the gourmet capital of Mexico:

"A smart, contemporary interior, an on-site bakery, mouth-watering artisan bread, free wi-fi and an "all day lounge"; this is café Cumpanio in San Miguel de Allende, three hours' north of Mexico City and it's a home-from-home as far as I'm concerned.

"I sip my honey latte and eye the couple at the next table. They are so cool and good looking – although unostentatious in well-worn black casuals – that I wonder if they've been hired by the café owner to give the place cred. He has a little man bun. She has smokey, almond-shaped eyes. When they catch me looking I ask what I should have for lunch and they advise me to have the pasta in perfect, although accented, English. I thank them kindly, deciding rather wildly that they must be in town on a fashion shoot, taking time out to treat themselves to a croque monsieur over their iPads."

I'm sure most of us aren't happy about the title. Yes the food is wonderful in San Miguel, but so are the prices. Why would we want to have our beautiful little town become expensive like the states?

No comments:

Post a Comment