Monday, July 13, 2015

Learning Curve

By Beverly Landfair



Who knew that you could not buy all your fruits and vegetables in one place?  I go to about 3-4 different and wonderful stores for different fruits or vegetables. In most cases, all is fresh as in just picked.  Another learning curve was figuring out what a "kilo" actually is?  Answer: About two pounds, 2 Lbs, so when I see veggie prices per kilo it is usually an unbelievably great price. 




Limes, huge avocados, grapefruit, watermelon, melons, etc. are sweeter and juicier here.  This is the broccoli capital of Mexico, so I say, "get steaming."  We are saving about 50% of what we paid in Portland for our fruits and vegetables.
For instance, I bought about one pound of Brussel Sprouts from Alex this morning, that's Alex at the top, and he charged me 15 Pesos = $1.00.





I do not pop grapes, berries, cherry tomatoes in my mouth in the above stores because when I get home I wash them in a disinfectant solution for about 10 minutes to rinse all the bad nasties away.  I have not been sick yet.  Some people have gotten deathly ill from eating the above without proper procedures.

Mega, the biggest store in town (think Fred Meyer) has decent fruits and vegetablesm, but I prefer to support the little guy.  I am hooked on jicama and am getting into papaya also.  This is all a colorful new adventure that tastes great!

NEXT UP:  SHOPPING FOR OTHER FOOD ITEMS

No comments:

Post a Comment