Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mega, Super Bonanza and "No Name" Grocery Stores

By Beverly Landfair

Mega Comercial Mexicana San Miguel de Allende


Going to the above stores for a couple spices and whipping cream for a recipe is no small task.  All of the above stores probably have what I need, but they are disguised with Mexican subtitles.  I needed ground Cumin today.  Little did I know that it is called "Comino" here.  It is an adventure!

Mega is a modern, commercial Mexican grocery store and more, a one shop center.  I am slowly figuring out how to navigate the aisles.  Some items are easy to find like cereals, just find your box on the shelf.  Popcorn kernels are kept with the packaged raw beans nicely hidden on a third shelf.  Every time I find what I am looking for I say, "Yay! and start acting like I own the place.  I do love the challenge.  The assortment is wonderful and it is bright and accessible.

Super Bonanza
Super Bonanza

Super Bonanza is sandwiched on Mesones Street and is another original experience.  Here they do a lot of catering to Canadians and Americans but you still need to be vigilant.  Eggs in San Miguel are sold loosely and are not refrigerated.  We are still among the living and buy them often.  I see some Americans here walking around glassy eyed, mouths open, searching for foods that look familiar.  Anyone who is learning Spanish is definitely ahead of the game.

No Name Tienda

I love "No Name" which we affectionately call this tienda (store) because it is a family run operation, but has no name on the front of the store.  They have some great taco chips for parties for only 14 pesos. (.99)  All stores are clean and really try to be helpful.

No Name tienda with 14 peso chips on bottom shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment