Friday, August 7, 2015

And We Are Back


We arrived back in San Miguel de Allende at 11:00 pm. We got up at 3:30 am in PDX, so it was a long day.We schlepped five pieces of luggage including a box of clothes from the storage unit along with two carry on bags and my laptop. I managed to get my freelance writing done for 25 clients while away.

Front row: Gregor, Gary, Mom, Cheryl, Gilyn
Back row: Kevin, Ryan, Bev, Mike 


We were gone for 10 days to the states and stayed with Mom who celebrated her 91 years with a dinner at Beaches in Vancouver with the family, minus Erica who suffered heat exhaustion while hiking eight hours in the 100 degree heat. Sister Cheryl and Bev and I teamed up to buy a brewing machine for Mom that brews one cup at a time.

The one question that kept coming up was, "What do you do all day in SMA?" Then, "Do you like it there?"

I can wait at least a year before going back to PDX again. I think next time we drive so we can grab more stuff from the storage unit. We visited the old neighborhood for a block party, It was fun to see the good neighbors again. We felt no sadness or nostalgia however. It's like that part of our lives is over.

Oneonta Gorge

Erica

Jumping into the pool

Erica and part of the old highway


Erica and I decided last year to go to John Day and dig fossils for her birthday. With the weather so hot we decided all that time driving in the heat was not a good idea, so we opted for Bridle Vale Falls and Oneonta Gorge. Erica challenges me every time and this time was no exception. Getting to the falls at the back of the gorge was tricky. We had to climb over this huge log jam and at 71, I wondered if I was tempting fate. A fall here could lead to nasty consequences. I made it going and back and only fell once in the river. I fell to my knees and elbow, the one I broke last year, in water up to my neck, but managed to keep my phone above water.

Here's Bev and sister carol with Jane's 10 month-old Lauren

We stayed the last five days at Carol's, Bev's sister. We had a very relaxing time in their new Mountain Park house. The highlight was spending time with two-year old Perrie, who talks with a high little voice as she is in perpetual motion and Jane's 10 month-old Lauren.

As I write, I'm looking out to the terrace. The sun is shining and we are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment