Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Lure of Mexico



I want to thank all those who have recently asked to be on my email list. Thank you for reading Mexico Calling and thank you for wanting to be notified of new blog posts.

Beverly (my wife or as they say in Mexico mi espousa) and I began thinking about moving to Mexico more than six years ago. We had commitments in Portland, Oregon that kept us tied to the city including elderly mothers and kids and grandkids, and family.

We took vacations to Cabo San Lucas, and I fell in love with Mazatlan. I loved the sound of the ocean and the sweep of the bay which was bejeweled with lights in the night. I fell in love with the life and people of Mexico. Society was slower and less stressful than the U.S.  Mexico reminded me of life in the States 50 years ago when the elderly and the young lived together. It was safe. No need to worry about the kids riding their bikes or playing outside.

I realize that all sounds pretty Norman Rockwellish.

I thought we would settle on a port city, instead, we spent a month staying in San Miguel de Allende while attending the Writer Conference. During that month of March, we decided to rent a place for a year. We had already sold our house in Portland. Our "stuff" was put in storage and we drove to San Miguel. On April 1st we celebrated our fourth year here. We go back to Portland semi-often, but we have no desire to return to the U.S. This is now our home. We love the weather here, warm every day except January when we can dip below freezing. We love the fourth months of monsoon rain starting in June with the magnificent lightning storms that sweep through causing the dog to shiver as the thunder threatens to blow out our windows. We love the drama.

Now, we have purchased a lot in the city and are building a house. It may take a year, but we are anticipating spending our fifth year here in our new house.

2 comments:

  1. Great news Mike. It is interesting how this place somehow touches your heart and you end up living here. I ALWAYS thought that I too would end up on the Pacific coast and then somehow, after visiting here several times, voila, I'm here. In fact I've just started my 19th year. That's amazing from a woman who was an avid sailor and loves the water. BUT I love the tranquility and the visual beauty and the people of SMA even more, obviously. Buen suerte with building your new casa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Glad to hear you found a beautiful place to call home. San Miguel has been on my radar to visit since reading White Oleander, years ago. . .

    ReplyDelete