Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Los Sombreros chef Azucena Tovar looks to hometown in Mexico for inspiration

Karen Fernau, azcentral.com, writes "Chefs can be both informative and entertaining. Chef Q&A offers a peek into the kitchens and minds of top Valley chefs: Azucena Tovar.

Chef: Azucena Tovar, chef and owner of Los Sombreros Mexican Restaurant.
Photo: Photo provided by Girl Meets Fork Marketing & Media)


Who are your influences? 

My mother, my hometown, my country.

What's your new favorite ingredient? 

Tortillas, beans and jalapeños. Of all of my favorites, I cannot live without jalapeños. I would rather die.

Why did you become a chef?

By accident but I love food just about more than anything else in life.

Is there anything you would never eat?

Yes, real exotic animals like snakes, lions, etc., and insects.

What is your favorite quote or saying about food?

I prefer food over just about anything.

What's your least favorite food?

Bland food.

Which flavor profile do you prefer? Salty, spicy or sweet?

I like to play with sweet and sour both at the same time.

What's one ingredient everyone should have in their fridge or pantry?
Peppers.

What's the best city in the world for food?

I love Paris, Mexico City and my hometown in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. That's what I cook, Mexican food with a French twist. I love them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment