Thursday, May 7, 2015

Moving to Mexico


Remember when you first announced to friends that you were thinking of..., or were moving to Mexico? You are what? Moving to Mexico? What ever for? In some ways we may have threatened their existence. I say that because I just started reading a new book: "The Global War on Morris" a political satire by Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.).

The book begins with Morris Feldstein looking at his life. "Morris was pretty much doing a tick under the speed limit in the right-hand lane of the longest, straightest, levelest stretch of unbroken pavement ever.'

"His (life and) love wasn't loveless. Just automatic."

He plodded toward his house (after work) "...as if he were shuffling toward the electric chair."

"Morris Feldstein's entire life was tucked in the safe confines of anonymity."

People can live like Morris Feldstein and many do, but when you announce you are moving to Mexico, many see their lives like Morris sees his and any change for them can be frightening. It makes them see that others are willing to make a leap that they haven't contemplated.

(I haven't finished the book, but it's billed as a hit on Pres Bush, Dick Cheney, "the war," and the WMDs that were never found, so I might skip the rest.)

However, Mexico for us is a side-road from the "unbroken pavement." Had we forgotten those dreams of our youth. did we know who we even were? We just didn't want to fall into "someday I'll..." trap. Someday I'll take a long vacation in Mexico; someday I'll write that novel; someday I'll investigate art like my sister!

And the biggest "someday I'll" of them all: someday I will stop living on automatic like Morris Feldstein.!

No comments:

Post a Comment